Monday, May 9, 2011

A STEADY HAND

Not much time to spare, today. Still, as I wrote this morning on The Buddha Diaries, I could not let the moment pass without a word of praise for the President's interview on last night's 60 minutes. He was calm, clear, concise in his answers to Steve Kroft's questions. He avoided boasting or self-aggrandizement--though not coy about taking credit where it was appropriate--and came off, I thought, as a steady and reliable "Commander-in-Chief." He stands comfortably head and shoulders--and more!--above the craven contenders for his office, and is remarkable for the ease and comfort with which he handles himself in the most trying of circumstances. I get the sense, watching him, that he has the context of a much larger perspective in mind in all that he says and does, and that he is not easily swayed into rash decisions and actions by the pressures of the moment. I think we are wise to have elected this clear-headed man at a time when our country and the world are rushing toward the precipice. I trust that he will prevail in the 2012 election. I need to believe we have placed the reins in steady, thoughtful hands.

1 comment:

PamB. said...

Peter, I agree completely. I am always so impressed by his calm, thoughtful and honest discussion of issues. The President also has this wonderful ability to evoke feelings of common purpose and destiny. I missed that "connection" after his election, as communication became less direct. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing from him more in the run up to the election. I believe restoring this link to the public will serve him well in his bid for re-election.